I know, I know…most people say that the holidays are the “most wonderful time of the year”. But if you’re anything like me, you’re not one for the summer heat. In fact, if you’re like me, you’re the kind of person who LOVES the fall…and September is the time when summer begins to end, the autumn begins, and all seems right with the world.
Oh…my birthday’s in September, too.
So to quickly recap, it’s the best time of the year because it’s my birthday, the kids have gone back to school, and the temperatures are beginning to dip just a little bit each night. But in addition to that, Netflix has a GREAT schedule of new movies being released in September that has a little bit of something for everyone (but more on that later).
Honestly…one of the great things that our family enjoys doing is getting together a couple times of month to enjoy “Family Movie Night“. While some families just sit around and stare, we’re constantly talking and laughing and joking and actually having some bonding time (which sometimes requires me to press the pause button during the movie, but that’s just part of the fun).
We normally jump into our pajamas (everybody in the family wears them), pop some popcorn (or collect some other tasty munchies), and snuggle on the couch. Something we want to try differently this month, though, is Netflix BINGO!!
Netflix has provided their Stream Team with five different bingo cards to use while the family watches a movie. Obviously, not everything is going to happen in every movie, but it looks like it will be a LOT of fun!
The only question is…what movies should we watch? Here are some of the new releases Netflix has for September:
- Alvin & The Chipmunks: Road Chip. I gotta be honest…this series of movies stopped being entertaining for me after the first one. But hey…if the kids want to watch it, I’ll buckle in.
- Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters wasn’t quite as good as the first movie, but with epic adventures and magical creatures, it’s something the kids will enjoy.
- Zootopia is one of the most entertaining animated movies to come out in the past decade. The family will have no problem watching it again while playing BINGO.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is something you may want to watch knowing that there is a FIFTH Pirates movie coming out in 2017. Might as well continue to enjoy the crazy antics of Captain Jack Sparrow as he searches for the Fountain of Youth.
- Zoolander 2 is the long-awaited (?) sequel to Ben Stiller’s original comedy about clueless models saving the world. My wife loved the first one…I can only imagine how the family will react to the second.
- Maleficent wasn’t a movie I expected to like, but Angelina Jolie plays the character in such a way as to not be completely over-the-top, which makes it a massively entertaining twist to the tale of Sleeping Beauty.
- Daddy’s Home is a very entertaining family comedy starring Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell.
And if just the wife and I want to play Netflix BINGO, we can try out some of these new releases:
- Neighbors is described as a “raunchy comedy” starring Seth Rogan and Zac Efron.
- Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle was the movie that resurrected the incredible career of Neil Patrick Harris, even though he wasn’t even considered one of the stars of the movie.
- Inception is, simply put, one of the most incredible movies ever made. The acting, special effects, directing, and story are all amazing and it’s definitely worth your time to sit back and watch.
- American Pie 2 wasn’t nearly as good as the original, but it’s been so long since I’ve seen it that I imagine my wife and I will have a blast re-living the hilarious exploits of Jim, Oz, Stiffler, & the rest of the gang.
- The Revenant is a movie my wife couldn’t watch all of the way through, but I was mesmerized by the Oscar-winning performance of Leonardo DiCaprio. I’d totally watch it again!
So there you go…plenty to choose from! If you have the opportunity to play BINGO with your family (or just with your “better half”), what movie would you pick?