So today is my birthday and I’ve been doing a bit of thinking about where I’m at in my life and where things seem to be going. This is what has been going through my head…
- I’m 43 years old. It’s weird to say that because most of the time I don’t feel 43 years old. I still feel 33 and then I look in the mirror and wonder just what in the world happened to that fun-loving young guy? I guess I’ve come to realize that the fun-loving guy is still there, just in an older package.
- I’m battling my internal feelings over being unemployed. It’s been six weeks now and while I got close to one job with a second interview, there’s been a severe lack of phone ringing in my home. I know that I’ve got a really good resume and I’m going to get something else soon…it’s just a tough pill to swallow when you’re out of work.
- I’ve got the most incredible wife. Even though we’re trying to really manage our funds due to my working situation, she still found a way to make this past weekend (i.e. my “birthday weekend”) a LOT of fun. From movie-themed dates to an evening watching 80’s videos on YouTube, she found ways for the two of us to laugh and love. I’m truly the luckiest man alive to be with such an incredible person.
- My kids are pretty awesome. All five kids/stepkids have great personalities and are all growing into really well-rounded people. I see how other kids behave and I hear horror stories about behaviour issues…but I don’t have that with my kids. Whether it’s my 9-year-old son or my 18-year-old daughter, I really believe they’ll grow up being responsible adults. Both Sunshine and I are fortunate this way.
- I’ve lost almost 20 pounds over the last couple of months. While I’m still heavier than I was a few years back, I’m the most physically fit I’ve ever been in my entire life. I ran a 10K last week and I’m running another 10K (or more) today to celebrate my birthday. I can’t imagine “old CBG” even considering something like that ten years ago…unless I was being chased by zombies.
- I’ve got a ton of great things in my future. Whether it’s my new job, my relationship with Sunshine, or simply the personal development that will come after finally being diagnosed with ADHD…there is just more positives than negatives for me to look forward to. THAT is a very good thing.
So all in all, I’ve got no complains about my life. Sure, I could be working right now but the other parts of my life could be a LOT worse. At this point, I’m all about looking positively into my 43rd year because it’s important to realize just how much better off I am now than I could be.