And while I still don’t have a cubicle (it’s an interior, open-top office space…ahem), I thought that I might as well write down a few thoughts while I had some down-time on a Friday afternoon…
– I am so sick of hearing about all things Kardashian or Cyrus that I’m ready to lose my shit on somebody. Last night I was watching Dish Nation and one of the stories was about whether or not one of the Kardashians’ new tattoo was real or fake. I mean…really??? I’m all about celebrity news and gossip, but is the tattoo of some no-talent Karashian sibling really THAT important?? And don’t even get me started on Miley. Everything that comes out of her mouth is ridiculously asinine and dim-witted. Once her “I’m a whore” act is done and played out, will anyone even give two shits about her music? I think not.
– I love that I’m at an age that not only can I appreciate musical acts from the 70s and 80s that I didn’t like as a kid, I can also see them in concert. As some may recall, Sunshine and I went to see 80s music icon Billy Ocean (at least that’s how I would describe him) last September and had a blast. The music was fun and we even got a photo op with him! On Friday night, we went to see a band that Sunshine LOVED back in the 80s, Platinum Blonde. They are a Canadian band that was pretty big for a few years and yes, we got a photo op with them, too. It makes me wonder just how many 80s artists I’d pay to see again.
– Things at work seem to be going extremely well for me. I appear to be fitting in and I really enjoy what I do, so you combine that with a salary that is more than fair and I’m in a pretty good position. I still have concerns from time to time about my ability to do this job, but the positive feedback I receive really helps to boost my self-confidence. I’m learning every day and that’s only going to make me better and better. So yeah…on a professional level, things are fantastic for me right now.
– I still haven’t come up with a nickname for my oldest (i.e. newest) daughter for my blog. Sunshine and I came up with a name…Pebbles. Don’t know why, but I love it. So that’s her name.
– Speaking of, I had an incredible chat with Pebbles on Friday. Mind you, it was a text chat…but it was a great conversation nonetheless. She opened up to me about her relationship with her mom and how the “bumps in the road” really get to her. I believe I’m in a unique position in that she doesn’t really see me as her dad, but I’m still a close enough person to her that she can open up to me about things that she can’t with her mom and stepdad…primarily because I’m not a “parent” in her eyes. I’m “bio-dad”, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing in this case. I’m not in any position to lecture or tell her what to do, so I’m simply an impartial observer providing my thoughts on the situations she wants to talk about. I did my best to help her see her mom’s point of view on parenting without bad-mouthing her in any way. Hopefully she was able to see that her mom is trying…but I also understand what it’s like to feel like you’re picked on or misunderstood or told how to live because I grew up under a similar parental structure, so that helps me talk to her about things without coming off as “preachy” or condescending. It was a GREAT conversation that ended with her telling me how much it meant to her to have someone important in her to life to talk to about these kinds of things. That legit choked me up.
– American Idol was AWESOME up until the Top 30 performed live. And last week’s Top 13 show was even worse than the Top 30 shows. I mean…what happened to all of those great performances from the auditions and Hollywood week?? Why is every single performance like a karaoke show I can hear at the local bar on a Saturday night? Harry Connick Jr brought me back to watching Idol every week, but even he can’t help them sing better live. Something better change soon or else I’m done with Idol; this time for good.
– This is why I enjoyed X-Factor so much…the mentors really tried to help differentiate the sounds of each singer and make each song uniquely tailored to the singer’s style. Too bad it got cancelled. I’ll have to keep downloading the original UK version to get my fix.
– I don’t know what acting gig Daniel Radcliffe has taken on, but why in the world would you want to walk a red carpet event looking like a transient? Or weirder yet…like Sirius Black??
Well…looks like it’s time to head home. Thoughts are done for now…