I always do my best to make resolutions every year, and every year I end up about 50% complete. This year, for example, I wanted to drop 40 pounds. Well, after all is said and done I’ll have dropped just over 20 pounds (which is awesome!), but only about halfway to where I want to be.
So instead of going on some kind of diet (because that just isn’t going to work) and because I’m already eating a million times healthier than I ever was before thanks to living with Sunshine, I think I’ve got to come up with some type of plan or list of activities I want to do more of in 2013.
1. Go walking more often. I had a GREAT beginning to 2012, dropping 20 pounds in five months and winning a foot race with a co-worker (that was partial inspiration to starting it all), but my want to get outside and run (or even walk) dropped off dramatically after that. Both Sunshine and I have a WEDDING to plan for (probably in August) and want to look our best for the occasion, so we’re both planning to strap-on our sneakers (yes, even during the winter) and start walking again. Hopefully, that will lead us back into running and then who knows? But we need to start somewhere.
2. Go hiking more often. I have only gone on what can be considered an actual “hike” a couple of times, but it wasn’t nearly the ordeal I thought it would be. So I want to be able to go on a hike complete with snacks, a lunch, and whatever else hikers bring in their backpacks. I don’t know if I’m ever going to be one of those people who end up so far gone that they get lost and have to cut their arm off after getting stuck between some rocks, but I’d like to think there’s a happy medium somewhere.
3. Play golf. I used to love playing golf and used to play it all the time. I was never “hard core” about the game, but as a casual player I had a great time. As it stands, I haven’t played in over three years now. I’d like to find a decent course and go on a trip to make it worth Sunshine’s time. I’ve read that a course in the Ottawa area, Loch March Golf, is really nice. We’ve got friends in Ontario and that could end up being a trip we could take over the summer.
4. Go skiing again. It’s been just over 20 years since I last strapped on a pair of skis, but I know that trying it is something Sunshine has wanted to do for awhile now. We’ve got a small hill about 90 minutes away that was the one I skied on as a teenager, so it just might be time for me to give the “bunny hill” one more try.
5. Go boating! I’m a massive fan of cruising, but I’ve only been on a smaller boat once or twice. I’ve always enjoyed my time on the water and had thought about actually getting a boat license on the off chance I decided to rent a boat or buy a small one myself. Just to get out on the open water and enjoy the ocean breezes would be an incredible experience…and operating a small water craft isn’t the easiest thing in the world to handle (which is why getting a boat license online make sense).
But really, the biggest thing at the end of the day is that I simply get off my butt in 2013. Whether it’s walking, skipping, golfing, cart-wheeling, or doin’ it Gangnam Style…as long as I get out and about next year then I’ll end up looking the way I want to look in August.