“A New Year’s resolution is a commitment that an individual makes to a project or the reforming of a habit, often a lifestyle change that is generally interpreted as advantageous.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year’s_resolution
I’ve never been a fan of New Year’s resolutions. I try every year to keep my resolutions but somehow never seem to keep them all. This past year wasn’t too bad, though, so I figured that I might as well continue to try to better myself.
So here are my resolutions for 2012:
1. LOSE WEIGHT. I know…how many times in the past three years have I said I was going to do this? Well…I’m writing it down again. I mean, I just HAVE to do it this time. I’m at the point in my life where I recently got blood work done because I was concerned for my health. So with turning 40 just around the corner, I have a sense of purpose that has overtaken me. I started my diet on January 1st…doing my best to track my calorie intake (using www.caloriecount.com) and eat healthier. I meet with a dietician next week and start a 10-week dietary course at the local grocery store with another dietician on the 18th, so I’m committed to not just lose weight but to change my eating habits on a permanent basis. I’m determined to be 200lbs by the end of 2012.
2. BUY CHRISTMAS GIFTS BEFORE DECEMBER. Gosh how I’d love to do this. Man…it’s just so bloody depressing to always have to scramble at Christmas to find money to buy gifts when I really should be buying in the months leading up to Christmas. It’s gotten to the point that Sunshine and I are going to have our own holiday AFTER Christmas is over…maybe sometime in January or February called “Us-Mas”, where we end up buying gifts for each other once the Boxing Day deals start. But in order for that to happen, I need to make sure my children are taken care of in the weeks before December…not the week before Christmas.
3. OPEN A SAVINGS ACCOUNT WITH SUNSHINE. This is something that the two of us have talked about occasionally, but I think it’s something I really want to do in 2012. The biggest reason would be because I want us to both do our best to save up for…
4. GO ON A TRIP WITH SUNSHINE. It’s hard to believe that it’s almost been a year since Sunshine and I were fortunate enough to have gone on a trip of a lifetime to the Caribbean. It’s hard to believe because it felt like only yesterday and both of us desperately want to do something like that again. So whether it’s a cruise ship through the Bahamas or a drive down to Maine, I’m intent to go somewhere with her so the two of us can just enjoy each other’s company.
5. COMPLETE MY DIVORCE AND MOVE ON TO BETTER THINGS. The paperwork has been sent but it’s taking a lot longer than it should. I’m going to have to contact some people and find out what the deal is with my divorce. I simply have to be divorced before the year is out because I’ve got other things in my life that I want to do, and I want to make sure I do it with a clean slate.