- We each outline 10 things that we want to accomplish in the next year as a couple.
- Share our lists via our blogs.
- Get out there and make each other’s dreams come true!
So without comparing notes of any kind, here is my list of things (in no particular order ) that I would love to do with Sunshine in 2011:
- Go to the Halifax Farmer’s Market at least once every two months. This is one that we’ve been slipping a bit on lately. I never liked going out to any kind of farmer’s market until I met Sunshine. I mean, I went a few times with The Ex but it seemed more of a chore than anything else. With Sunshine it’s a completely different feeling. I actually WANT to go. I actually LIKE walking around and seeing the local artisans and farmers and bakers and whoever else is there selling whatever it is they made. I just like spending this time with Sunshine, too.
- Attend a local “Tweet-up” as a couple. Sunshine has been invited to a couple of these so far, and the last time I noticed on Twitter that an invite was given to her I ended up being included in the mix, too. Because of our blogs, we have a lot of similar friends on Twitter so it’s only natural that we try to get out and meet some of these people in person to see if we’d actually like them or not. Plus…it’d be nice to have more “couple” friends to share together.
- Spend a weekend in PEI. We’ve been talking about this one for awhile and I’m very hopeful that we can make this a reality this summer. To walk along the Charlottetown waterfront on a beautiful sunny day would be very special. Maybe take in some of the local “touristy” attractions would be fun, too (I’m a tourist at heart, after all). I’m really wanting this one to actually happen.
- Walk along the waterfront in Halifax AND Saint John on sunny days. We’ve walked along the Halifax waterfront numerous times and each time it’s a different experience depending on what’s going on that particular weekend. We went to Saint John on a “stay-cation” last spring but it ended up being foggy and wet and cold that day. I know the Saint John waterfront can look great if it’s a sunny day…not to mention their farmer’s market was nice to walk through, as well.
- Attend one night of the Harvest Jazz & Blues Festival. I’m not a jazz or blues fan, to be honest…but I’d love to be able to just sit back in some club, drink in hand, having a conversation with Sunshine about absolutely nothing in particular while some live music was playing in the back ground. I find jazz music is best when in the background, anyway. I’ve heard a lot of good things about this festival so maybe I’ll end up becoming a fan.
- Attend a live play or musical. I’ve always been a huge fan of live entertainment, having been part of my high school band AND its drama club (plus my years of being in front of crowds as a DJ or event MC). Over the years, I’ve seen a few musicals (I actually got to see Les Miz in London!) and have attended a few plays (Blood Brothers was pretty awesome), but haven’t seen much lately. I know there are a lot of small, local productions going on all the time. So whether it’s in my city or hers, I’d like us to go out on a date and enjoy something like that together. I think it’d be fun. It’d be even more amazing if we could see a puppet musical about Dracula, but I think I’d settle for something else.
- Attend a concert together. God bless Sunshine…she stood in the rain with me for over five hours so we could see KISS together two summers ago. And while I offered to drive 3 hours one night at the last second so we could see a Jann Arden concert together (she ended up going with a friend), there hasn’t been any concerts worth attending since 2009. And really, that sucks. I’d love for us to be able to sit in a coliseum and enjoy a concert from an artist that we both enjoy. I heard U2 might be coming this summer, so maybe that’s the concert we can go to?
- Fly to Toronto for an extended weekend. While trying to figure out how to fly my daughter in to see me for our “winter visit”, I ended up looking at other possibilities. There’s a new airline that flies right into downtown Toronto for about half the price of the normal airlines. We could fly into Toronto, jump on the GoTrain to my daughter’s city, then find a cheap hotel to stay in for a couple of nights…maybe even rent a car for a weekend. It’ll cost a bit, but I think it’d be cheaper than my daughter flying down for two weeks…which normally costs a TON of money (it costs more once she’s here than her travel does!). We could even drive to Ontario for a visit, for that matter…but if we did that it would have to be in the spring after the winter. I dunno…it’s something we’re looking into.
- Go to at least five restaurants that neither one of us have ever been to. I know it’s hard to tell by just looking at me but I’m a big fan of food. Mind you, only “specific” foods because I’m a fussy eater (just ask Sunshine). But I would LOVE to go out and eat at places we’ve never been to before…trying new cuisine (Greek? Jamaican?) and experiencing something new together. I think five is a reasonable goal for the entire year.
- Go camping more than one night together…in the woods. This is more for Sunshine than anything else on this list. She’s a big fan of camping out in the woods and I’m a guy who hates it…but I’m totally willing to give it a shot to show her how much I love her. So I’m absolutely willing to go to Keji or some other provincial park or campground (maybe when we go to PEI?) and camp in a tent without the comforts of home for a weekend. But NO MORE than two nights…y’know, if we’re keeping track of things here.
So…how does this compare to Sunshine’s list? Head on over and check it out. Maybe we’ll both be pleasantly surprised.