Sometimes I drift off at work a bit. It’s not like I actually fall asleep or anything…I just let my mind wander. But sometimes on a break or during lunch I’ll hear or read something online that sticks with me.
It’s been awhile since I’ve had enough downtime during the day at work to actually write down some random comments, but today is the day.
Why today? Danged if I know. But what I usually do is just jot something down and then finish these thoughts once I’m home. And for whatever reason, people seem to enjoy my random take on the world…
- The Rugrat is scheduled to come visit me over Christmas.
I haven’t seen her since March and I’m already stoked. I miss her tremendously. I asked her what she wanted for Christmas and she mentioned some Nintendo DS game…and of course, her mom emailed me and told me that she wants to cut back on the DS games because she’s always telling her to “get off of that thing” (#thatswhatshesaid…heh). But still, to spend the holidays with my daughter never fails to bring a huge smile to my face. What’s more is that Sunshine will hopefully be able to visit me on Christmas Day, too…maybe even joining my family for a holiday supper. While still another month and a half away, I’m really excited for the holidays this year. It just seems that so much in my life is coming together (finally). I can’t really complain. Well I could, but I’m still waiting on that lottery win.
John Allen Muhammad died at 9:11pm EST on Tuesday night.
I remember watching CNN during the time he and his accomplice, Lee Boyd Malvo, were terrorizing the greater Washington, DC area. I can only imagine what it must have felt like to try to get through your day…driving to work, getting groceries, picking up the kids, filling up the gas tank…and to be in constant fear of being shot and killed by a hidden sniper with no apparent agenda. He killed 10 people and wounded 3 more, all the while taunting police with written messages and phone calls. I’m not much of a political guy, but I firmly believe that this guy deserved the death penalty.
- I have a couple of new obsessions when it comes to TV land. Three of them, in fact…
- Glee - This show makes me smile each and every time I see it. Not only is it a comedy, but the music is primarily geared towards people in my age bracket (c’mon…Journey, Billy Idol, Neil Diamond, Bon Jovi, Sisqo, Young MC…it’s not just for kids, people). The music really is incredible and I have found myself downloading singles from iTunes and enjoying them more than I probably should. Most of the actors come from Broadway and there isn’t an untalented cast member among them. It’s like a combination of Fame meets Beverly Hills 90210 meets Arrested Development. I just love this show.
- Mantracker - This, no doubt, is a “manly” program. One guy on a horse, along with a local guide, chases after two people running for their lives. Okay…they’re not really running for their lives, but this show is in its fourth season and I’m just hopping on the bandwagon now. I love this guy, the people they choose for him to chase, and the locations they choose to set things up. From British Colombia to Newfoundland to California to Hawaii (the website is asking for applicants on the island now), this is becoming an international phenomenon…even if it’s only seen in Canada (is it seen in the U.S. yet?). Most people, Sunshine included, roll their eyes when I bring up this show and attempt to describe it to them. I was the same way at first, but after two or three episodes I was hooked.
- Destination Truth- Unfamiliar with this show? Basically, it’s a group of researchers who go around the world attempting to find proof of unusual stories and/or phenomena. Examples include attempting to find scientific evidence of a yeti, the Bermuda Triangle, and even the curse of King Tut’s tomb. They take cameras and microphones and other scientific devices and attempt to do what Grant and Jason have done for ghosts…prove or disprove them based upon evidence, not hype. What I really love about this show is the host, Josh Gates. He’s got a likable quality to him and he can crack a sarcastic joke in just about any situation…whether he’s getting held-up at an airport in Turkey or lost in the middle of the Amazon jungle at night, he never fails to entertain.
This is honestly the first I’ve heard of it! Not that it’s a big deal either way, but I just find it oddly fascinating and a bit exciting. She recently did an interview where she not only proclaimed her bisexuality (“I’ve had a lot of fun with women, and I’m not ashamed of it.”) but also explained how she had to go to therapy to truly understand that she’d still be cheating on her husband if she was with another woman. Oh…really? Is that a fact?? Ya don’t say?? I have NEVER understood the whole “I’m a bisexual woman so I can be with another woman and not cheat on my man” thing. If he doesn’t agree to it, it’s cheating. Period. Do you really need therapy to come to that conclusion??? Now having said that…I’d like to stress that as long as the husband has no issues with it and approves, then it’s not cheating in my eyes. So…y’know…if Sunshine ever got any ideas, I’d certainly be open to the possibilities. But that’s all I’m sayin’…lol.
- Being a huge fan, I am relieved to find out that Aerosmith aren’t breaking up afterall. The “unofficial official” reply from Steven Tyler? “There’s absolutely no validity to rumor that Aerosmith is breaking up, muthaf*cka!” Heh…you stay classy, Steven Tyler.
- OMFG I can’t wait to see Avatar. Wow.
- On a day like yesterday (i.e. Remembrance Day in Canada and Veteran’s Day in the U.S.), it was nice to read a wholesome story about a reservist and his near-brush with being robbed. Yes, kids…the unnamed 21-year-old reservist was being robbed by four thugs early Tuesday morning on his way home from work. He was told to lie down in an alley and a guy was placed on the back of his neck. But in “After School Special” fashion, the leader of the 4-man gang saw the reservists’ Army ID he ordered the gang to not only return his personal items, but also walked up to the guy and gave him a “fist-bump”. Yes, Virginia…there is a Santa Claus, afterall.
I’m in a football pool with a group of guys at work.
The guy in first place doesn’t follow football and has only been in hockey pools up until this year. He picks players based on a whim and really doesn’t have any clue what he’s doing. I am frustrated to no end. I pour over stats and toggle back and forth on my picks every single week and I’m stuck at an unimpressive 3-6 while he sits pretty at 8-1. BAH!! Thank goodness I can still make the playoffs.
- Saw that Michael Jackson movie with Sunshine last weekend. Y’know, the guy might have been scrawny but he was FAR from sickly. I was impressed beyond belief. The man could sing and dance circles around 99% of the “artists” out there today. Yeah…he still had it. What a horrendous shame that he had to die so young. I’m really hoping that the doctor(s) who attributed to his death are brought up on charges of some kind, because this whole situation just isn’t right. I don’t care who you are or how much money you have, you shouldn’t be having doctors throwing around perscriptions like they’re candy. That’s just insane to me. If they can’t get a homicide charge to stick, surely they can get some drug charges to stick and remove this guy’s license. Those thoughts aside, if you’re a remote fan of MJ then you’ll probably really enjoy this movie.
Ahhh…these are just some of the things that popped into my head at work yesterday.