I’m turning 40 in September (**shudders**) and I’ve recently noticed a number of small things that have only helped to remind me that I’m getting older.
Sure…age is just a number, but 40 is a pretty big number.
1. There are grey hairs on my chest. Sunshine has noticed the occasional grey hair on my chest from time to time and I didn’t think much of it. I also have grey in my goatee and didn’t really care about that too much, either. But I happened to get out of the shower the other day and saw three on my chest. THREE. And I could see them!! Eesh.
2. My overall musical tastes are mellowing. For pretty much my entire life, I’ve been a hard rock kind of guy. Sure, I love dance and hip hop, too (a product of my DJ’ing years), but I grew up on KISS and AC/DC. Well…my new favorite band is Walk Off The Earth, who are about as mellow as you can get. And Billy Joel is on a constant rotation on my iPod playlist, not to mention Phil Collins. It’s crazy. I still love my Quiet Riot and Kid Rock and Daft Punk, but I’m finding myself listening to more and more “mellow music” and it’s kinda weirding me out a bit.
3. I want to shop at Pete’s Frootique. This is an independent grocery store chain in the Maritimes that has a very unique set-up. I don’t even care if I buy anything…I just want to walk around the place and take it all in because I think it’s “cool”. Wow…I used to say that about strip clubs.
4. I ache…a lot. Mowing my lawn has always been a pain in the ass, but I’ve found that lately the days following that task I’m sore. It’s just not my arms, it’s my legs and hands and shoulders. Seriously…it’s not like mowing is a horrendously difficult workout, either. I don’t want to have to start taking back pills or something.
5. I’m starting to take back pills. There has been more than one morning over the past few months where I’ve woken to pain in my lower back. I take a back pill and all is well again. I feel like I woke up on “the morning after” but I haven’t been anywhere or have done anything. It’s like my body is making fun of me.
6. I listen to talk radio. ‘Nuff said.
7. Staying in on a Saturday night actually sounds nice. Oh do I remember the “good ol’ days” of going out on a Thursday, Friday, AND Saturday night to party with the boys. Wow…does that ever seem like a million years ago. I’m certainly not opposed to going on out a Saturday with my amazing fiance, but I’m just as happy to stay inside and watch a movie on the couch with her.
8. The 21-year-old co-worker is young enough to be my son. When in the hell did THIS happen?? Somebody who is old enough to drink all over North America is young enough (technically) to be my own kid. Holy crap…when did this happen?
9. I say “dude” way too much. My own dad says “dude”. It’s depressing.
10. I actually enjoy “Fire and Rain” by James Taylor. I can’t believe it…I really like this song. And if this isn’t the ultimate sign of getting old, I don’t know what is.